Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Haren

"Maybe you just aren't ready yet." Minz proposed.

"When will I be ready then? The longer I wait the more likely I will never leave. I don't want to end up like my brothers, backs bent and broken from working the fields. I have dreams Minz, places I want to see, things I want to do." Haren ran a hand through his shaggy black hair. "I don't want to be a farmer."

"You think I want to stay here? You think I want to get married to some sod farmer and make a bunch of babies. If you leave, what will happen to me?" Minz wiped a tear from her ruddy cheek.

"So, what keeps you here? Why not come with me?"

"What about father? Who would take care of him?"

"You have been using your father as an excuse your whole life."

"It's not an excuse, he needs me." Minz cried.

"What about what you need? I know it sounds selfish, but isn't your father being just as selfish keeping you here? We have much more to offer this world than some baskets of potatoes and corn at the village market."

"Sounds like you've already made up your mind." The tears flowed more freely now as Minz lowered her head.

"I have. I am leaving at the end of the week. I would like you to come with me Minz, you've been my friend as long as I can remember. It won't be the same without you." Haren placed his hand under her chin, raising her eyes to meet his. "You have the next five days to think it over. Don't think about what your father wants, think about what you want, what your heart truly tells you."

"What about money? Food? What are you going to do about that?"

"I have saved enough to strike out on my own. I figure the rest I can earn doing whatever work I can find. People always need fences mended, stables cleaned, wood cut. Plus my uncle has offered me work once I make it to Aropus. I'm sure he could find work for you as well, he is a very well respected artisan."

"Please Haren, don't force me to choose. I can't abandon my father."

"Then you have already abandoned yourself. Like I said, I am leaving at the end of the week." Haren reluctantly turned and left his friend in tears. "I don't want to abandon you either." He muttered under his breath as he walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment